Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Tucson Shootings

I have been having a hard time trying to come to a conclusion about Saturday's shootings. What are my own thoughts? At what point to I have to put on the backburner my own desire to know more and instead focus on what my kids do not need to see or know? How much is too much to share with my kids? The fact that I have the television tuned to news channels brought this last question to the forefront. When your 4-year-old daughter sees a picture of the little girl and asks if "she was shot in the head too," does that require an explanation or simply turning off the TV?

I would profoundly moved by one statement, that still resonates in my mind, 3days after the shooting. Senator McCain's comments follow:

“I am horrified by the violent attack on Representative Gabrielle Giffords and many other innocent people by a wicked person who has no sense of justice or compassion. I pray for Gabby and the other victims, and for the repose of the souls of the dead and comfort for their families,” McCain said. “I beg our loving Creator to spare the lives of those who are still alive, heal them in body and spirit, and return them to their loved ones.”

“Whoever did this; whatever their reason, they are a disgrace to Arizona, this country and the human race, and they deserve and will receive the contempt of all decent people and the strongest punishment of the law.” McCain said.

McCain took the words I couldn't find and managed to express my own sentiments with the precise angered and appaled tones I was feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment